Thursday, September 6, 2012

Save the Stupid Youth Fund

Although I understand that teen pregnancy is a big issue in our country, I feel that debt is probably a bigger burden on young folks. I wish in high school it would have been brought to my attention just how stressful debt can be.

In 8th grade we did the “fake baby” project where we had the doll that would cry in the middle of the night. I remember being excited to take it out in public just to see the reactions I would get. It was fun but, I must admit it didn’t detour me from having sex. (My mother who promised me she would shoot me if I got pregnant halted any hormonal urges I was having at that age.)

I propose in high school they have an “I’m Up to my Ears in Debt Project”. March them into a bank and have the pitiful look they give you when your loan is denied. Stick them in a junk car and give them a flat tire and a transmission problem that has to be fixed. Rent is due at the end of the month and utilities are a month behind. Wave concert tickets in their face and tell them it’s either the concert tickets or the gas bill…. Phone is ringing off the hook because your student loan payments are due from your short stint in college that was basically the most expensive party of your life. Whether or not you graduate you aren’t guaranteed a job and you still have to pay them back. You don’t have insurance and you had to go to the hospital…they are calling. Your payments have been sent to a collection agency and they are calling your grandparents. This is stress! A baby at least has the benefits of watching them grow and the relationship you build. When you watch your debt grow nothing changes but your stress level.

Granted not everyone my age is struggling with as much debt as I am and I am sure some have more. I made choices that were stupid. However, maybe if I had a better understanding of life and how debt effects the choices you want to make later perhaps I wouldn’t have made such terrible choices. Perhaps I would have practiced safe finances. I mean I am only 28K in debt and people buy cars that are more expensive….but to me that is a ton and it is hard to live life with a son and get ahead when I am already so behind. BLAH!

The idea of a new car and a house is so far out of reach it is painful. I will be 50 before I can get my credit where it needs to be.

Vent session over.

Anyone who would like to donate money to the Save the Stupid Youth Fund please contact me for information.

No comments:

Post a Comment