Friday, June 8, 2012

Best Day of My Life

I started my job back in January and the same man comes every Friday to pick up our rugs. He is an African American man with kind eyes and a beautiful smile. Looking at him makes you want to smile because he looks so happy. Every Friday he asks the same quick question “How are you today Jess?” I always answer with usual polite response….good….fine…okay…. and then return the favor “How are you?” Everytime he answers with a big smile “The best day of my life.” When he leaves I feel warm and happy inside. I told him today that I appreciate his answer because it is so positive. He then explained that 12 years ago he heard someone say that and was inspired by it and decided to use it as his own.

This small positive statement truly says a lot. We will never get yesterday back and tomorrow is not promised to us. For all we know today is all we have. I can worry and stress over my past and think of ways I could have done things differently but, it will never change. I can fret and plan for the future but, I don’t know how much time I really have ahead of me. I have friends and family who love me dearly. They call me to see how I’m doing, they stop over to split a bottle of wine and discuss life. I have friends who are miles away and take time out of their day to listen to me vent or will call because they want my advice. I have a huge family who looks out for me and prays for me. I have a son who is the apple of my eye. I get to wake him up in the morning when we are ready to leave and I get to see that sleepy grin that I love so much. I have all these things and I have them today! Today really is the best day of my life!  

With that being said I understand it isn’t realistic to not have any worry in the world. I am probably the best worry wart out there. However, when you feel yourself swimming in worry, regret, doubt, anxiety just remember today is all you have for sure. Do you really want to spend it worrying? Go outside and look at the sky with your kids. Kiss your husband a little longer when he gets home from work. Watch your child sleep for a few minutes before you rush off to bed. Call up family members just to tell them you love them! Take time to enjoy today and make everyday the best day of your life.

1 comment: