Friday, July 20, 2012

Footloose & Fancy Free Movie Theater

Footloose & Fancy Free Fridays

The movies.

As promised I would write about something upbeat on Fridays. Sadly, I woke up to the news this morning about the terrible shooting at a movie theater. The world we live in today is utterly scary!

However, it did make me think of all the good times I have had going to the theaters and how much a theater really means to American citizens. It is a place to take the family or maybe take someone special on a first date. Maybe someone has their first kiss from that scared teenage boy with the sweaty palms! A theater is a place full of memories not just movies. So I decided to highlight some of my favorite memories.

  • I remember my mom taking us with my aunt and cousins to see Titanic. My mom loves Jr. Mints and a few fell in her lap and in between her legs. When we left she had a huge stain that almost looked like she bled through haha. Gross! Hilarious though because we didn’t see it till we got to the car and my mom was cracking up at what everyone probably thought looking at her pants!
  • My first kind of date as a kid. We went with family friends to see the movie Andre (about the seal, good flick) I sat next to the son who was a year older than me and he held my hand J
  • My first solo movie without my parents I was in 7th grade and I can’t even remember what movie we went to see. I just remember my dad drove us and he is really goofy and as soon as the guys got in the car he said “Woot Woot! Put your hands in the air and wave them like you just don’t care”. Haha I was mortified but that’s my dad, always trying to get a laugh! He was successful and the guys all thought he was hilarious.
  • My ex husband took me on our first date to a movie and left me in there to answer his cell phone. Should’ve been a red flag right there haha. I guess I was too into Sleepy Hollow to care!
  • Going to see Jackass’s newest movie with my best friend who has a stomach weaker than mine (not sure why we thought this was a good idea?) Gagging to the point of almost puking but laughing so hard our bellies hurt.
  • Making it a tradition to see every Austin Powers movie with my dad and siblings because we thought they were hilarious.
  • Multiple embarrassing moments when my mom turned around to yell at people making too much noise in a theater. Haha! Even though I was glad she did!

I remember being younger and so excited to go to the movies. We used to travel out of town to the theater in Maumee because it was huge and very nice! Now the movies aren’t that big of a deal to me although I still occasionally like going. I am very excited though for the day I take Max to see his first movie. I hope he has many good memories of the movie theater just as I do and I hope he always remembers the first time I took him to see one! Does anyone else have fond memories of going to the movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment